Saturday, September 3, 2011

Kind of like Ice Cream

I follow a TON of blogs. Probably around 75. Thank you Google Reader. One of them is written by an alum of IU who still lives in Bloomington (which I didn't know until recently) and I love her blog. One of her posts this past month was about a banana ice cream, but made from frozen banana, not milk. I had some bananas that were going to go bad, so I thought I'd try it out.

I threw my bananas into what constitutes a freezer in my small fridge.
I let them freeze a little and then chopped them up. Which was probably a bad idea. I'd suggest peeling them before hand. My skins were sticking and I had to cut it off, but regardless, it still worked. I let the chopped up bananas sit in the freezer until they were frozen and then threw them in the blender.
Blending it until there were minimal chunks required the use of a wooden spoon to push down the bananas. It worked, but unfortunately, my banana ice cream will have a little more fiber than I bargained for...
It was a whole spoon when I started out
Eventually, it did come together into a nice, creamy banana gloop.
I added some Nutella and threw it back in the freezer to stiffen up a little. When I took it back out, it was a nice, creamy consistency and tasted closely like my favorite Ben & Jerry's Chunky Monkey. I did find little shredded pieces of wood, but they're obvious and are not going to stop me from eating it! Its a nice way to use up my otherwise bad bananas and I've been wanting some ice cream but have been too cheap to buy some. A perfect answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment