Saturday, April 9, 2011

American Greek Food

I was missing some good Greek food after being able to have the authentic stuff, so I tried Trojan Horse. Their menu looked delish, except for the normal American mistake of having lamb gyros (all the ones I ever saw in Greece were either chicken or pork, not lamb). I ordered the Combo dinner, which had a gyro, moussaka, tabouleh, and spanikopita.

I was really looking forward to some good Greek food but I was kinda disappointed. Mom said that since I've had the real stuff I'm now scarred for life with higher standards. The gyro meat, onions and sauce were there, but there was no actual pita. I got a small pita cut into triangles instead. And the tzatziki was runny. The tabouleh was good but the moussaka looked like it had been made long before I ordered it and was already set. I took a bite and it was decent, but again, it seemed older than an hour or so, so I let Tyler eat it ;) I'm saving the spanikopita for tomorrow.
MMMmmm Spanikopita. Not exactly what the one from the restaurant looks like, but I'm hoping it tastes better than it looks.

I bought a Cretan cook book while I was in Greece and will attempt to make Lentil Soup (should be easy enough) and Halva (the flour-based one, which may be a little harder). I hope to do that tomorrow, so I'll try to remember to take some pictures.
This is what I'm aiming to get tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment