Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Spartan Sprint

Last Saturday, I finished one of the funnest events I've ever done. The Spartan Sprint.


This one was a 4-mile obstacle course, with lots of hills, ravines, climbing, carrying and mud. It was harder than I thought, but I ran it for fun, so there was no time crunch. I ended up walking the majority of it, as the obstacles took a lot out of you.

The before picture

It was chilly, but I didn't want to wear something that would weigh me down. For the next event, I will be wearing only a sports bra and spandex shorts. Even this outfit almost fell off. I kept having to pull up my shorts because the mud added 10 pounds to them.

This was only halfway through

If you're afraid to get dirty, this is not the race for you. But if you're down to get dirty, push yourself and build amazing and instant camaraderie with those around you, then I would totally do it. We all helped each other out in the obstacles. As one of the volunteers working an obstacle put it perfectly: "It's your race." We helped each other at pulleys, climbing ropes and walls, and general encouragement and advice. It was great.

Obviously not prepared for this picture

And the medal is pretty badass. I was exhausted for the rest of the day and so hungry. It took me about 15 minutes to wash my hair out. I woke up super sore the next day, covered in tons of bruises and cuts. But I plan on doing it again next year. It was awesome.

Also, the event has a Reebok tent that collects the donated muddy shoes if you don't want to take them home to clean them - and I definitely didn't. I donated my shoes. They had a good and long life, but it was almost time to get new ones and I'd rather they do to something good than just sit in the trash.

Anyone want to join me next year?

2 comments:

  1. i did a race very similar to this and i would say the exact same thing...i almost lost my shorts at least 20 times! but, it was so much fun (and we got free beer at the end)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got free beer too! And they were having a cookout that smelled delicious at the finish line!

    ReplyDelete