Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why I Stay Out of Politics

After opening the IDS this morning (my school paper), I read through it before class like normal until I came on to an opinion column defending PFC Manning, the one who gave Wikileaks all the secret cables, as a whistle blower. Whistle blower? Seriously? A whistle blower, by definition, is one who uncovers corruption or wrong-doing. He uncovered none of this. He gave away secret government and military information that included the names of those helping us in both Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as government cables used to help conduct government business. That's the definition of a traitor. And I hope he is convicted and executed like the traitor he is. Being a member of the military who has served in a war zone, I am well aware of the dangers little pieces of information can cause. And he released tons of it. He is no hero - he has blood on his hands and I for one and furious that people defend him. But then again, these people have never and will never experience what those in the military have and cannot comprehend what he actually did.

Alright, done with that rant. And then I read about Congress holding hearings about Muslim extremism in the US, claiming that there was nothing "un-American" about the hearings. Except that they seem exactly the same as the hearings held by Congress in the 1950s to hunt Communists. The article, which you can see here, also says that "In the United States, we don't practice guilt by association." What United States does this guy live in? A nice idealistic world of his own? Of course we do it. We're programed to do it without realizing it. So holding these hearings cause normal citizens to distrust all Muslims. Way to go Congress.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I can't stand politics anymore. Everything is so screwed up in the country that I can't follow or be a part of the political system without getting upset. And nothing I can do is going to change the extreme polarization of the country. And the idiot people who run it, Republican or Democrat. It's basically voting for the best of the worst, which is why I prefer to not vote at all.

On to happier things....I leave for my Spring Break tonight :) After the Ron White show at IU Auditorium tonight, Tyler and I are starting our 16 hour drive to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for our cruise. But I think someone is going to miss us...





Bella wanted to come with. Spaz cat. Alright, I'm sure no one wants to read any more after all my ranting. Hopefully the ship will have some internet and I can randomly post. Otherwise prepare yourself for a long post with lots of pictures when I get back!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully you left some air in that vacuum bag for her trip in the car...

    I'm surprised the boys didn't wrestle her for the bag...or maybe they did and she was just more persistent.

    Anyway, have a great time!!

    ReplyDelete