Saturday, July 30, 2011

College Chopped

I leave for a mini-vacation before classes start in just under two weeks. At that point, I have to be all packed up because the new renters move in (who I know, thankfully) and they're letting me keep my stuff until I get back and am able to move into my new apartment. That means that I'm trying to pack up and eat whatever is left in the fridge and freezer. It's my version of Chopped.

Today, I started with the Rice-a-Roni beef rice:
I added a little garlic, naturally
I still have about 6 or 7 bags of frozen veggies in my freezer. Apparently I thought I'd somehow need them all. I took bits and pieces from the frozen spinach, broccoli and mix "fiesta" blend of peppers and onions and mixed them together.
I microwaved them first, so they were at least re-warmed
Instead of adding the brats in my fridge, I added some eggs. I was going for a kind of egg fried rice, but because the rice had so much moisture with how it was cooked, they didn't really scramble all that well. But at least it's protein. My roommates from last year/summer left some cheesy garlic bread in the freezer (buried in the back, or I probably would have eaten it by now...but it's frozen, so it's still good, right?). I cooked up some of that to go with my rice mush and...Ta-Dah!
I added some feta to the bread as well. Trying to use everything in my fridge!
Dinner. And probably lunch for the next couple days as well.

I can't forget about the AMAZING find of the day. I was out getting textbooks (I know it's a month early, but I don't want to deal with the crowds of freshman who have no idea what they're doing) and ran across this awesome find in the bookstore:
I should have bought all the ones I saw
Nutella to Go, with little cracker sticks. The last place I saw these was when I was in Santorini, Greece. Europe is full of Nutella freaks, so I fit in quite nicely. But here in the states, I still run into people who have no idea what I'm talking about. So I'm SUPER Excited that these are being sold here. Makes life so much easier than carrying around a jar of Nutella for a snack on campus :)

No comments:

Post a Comment